CPC Church History
The Chinese Presbyterian Church has its roots in the work of the Presbyterian Chinese Mission begun by the Presbyterian Church of NSW in Sydney in the 19th Century.
In its early years, the work of the Mission was held in rented premises in 1884, in a house on the corner of Nithdale and Goulburn Streets, and later in 1889, in new premises on the corner of Elizabeth and Goulbourn Streets.
It was not until 27th May 1893 that the first church building dedicated for the use of the Chinese Mission was opened in Foster Street. By 1897, the Foster Street Mission had been raised to the status of a sanctioned charge and the following year saw the induction of Rev. John Young Wai as its first minister, together with three Chinese elders to form the first Session of the Chinese Church.
The next home of the Chinese Congregation was in Campbell Street where a new church was built after the Foster Street property was resumed by the government.
At the Campbell Street site, the congregation stayed for almost fifty years, from 1910 till 1957. By the fifties however, it was outgrowing the old church. A new home was found in the Fullerton Memorial in Crown Street and this has been the site of the Chinese Presbyterian Church since 1957.
In 1993, the Chinese Presbyterian Church celebrated its centenary service to the Chinese community. Whilst these days, CPC is only one Chinese church amongst many in Sydney, it has historical significance as the oldest surviving Chinese church in Australia.
Today, it has grown to be one of the largest congregations in the Presbyterian Church in Australia with a ministry catering for diverse needs, from those of the Australian born, to more recent migrants from Hong Kong and other parts of Asia.